Dishwashers are a time-saving hero in the kitchen. But what happens when it stops working? Should you try to repair it or replace it altogether? The internet will have everyone believe they can be a plumber – all that’s needed is a paperclip, some duct tape and an aftermarket replacement part – just to save a few bucks. But nine times out of ten, if it works, it won’t work for long. This is most likely because the average person won’t be able to identify what caused a particular part to break down in the first place, or did not perform the repair correctly due to lack of experience.
Sometimes it’s better to just replace the dishwasher, especially if it’s over 10 years old.
In this article, we’ll be discussing common dishwasher issues, providing troubleshooting tips for safe DIY solutions, knowing when to call in the professionals, and offering guidance on what to look for in a new dishwasher.
Diagnosing & Identifying the Issue
Understanding some common issues that can cause a dishwasher to stop working can help you make an informed decision on whether you want to attempt being a kitchen hero or call in a professional hero.
- Clogged Drain: A dishwasher that fails to drain properly may have a clogged filter, drain hose, or pump.
- Faulty Motor: If the dishwasher is not starting or making unusual noises, it could indicate motor or pump failure.
- Water Leakage: Persistent leaks can be a sign of damaged hoses, seals, or faulty door gaskets.
- Electrical Problems: Issues such as tripped circuit breakers, flickering lights, or power failures may require professional attention.
Tackling Minor Issues
If you are a DIY-minded person and prefer to tackle the repair on your own first, try these troubleshooting tips before reaching for your tools or your wallet:
- Clean Filters and Spray Arms: Clogged filters and spray arms can affect the dishwasher’s performance. Clean them to ensure optimal water flow.
- Check for Obstructions: Look for food particles or debris that may be blocking the drainage system or spray arms.
- Reset the Control Panel: Resetting the control panel can help resolve minor programming glitches. Consult the user manual for instructions.
- Inspect Hoses and Gaskets: Check for signs of damage or loose connections in the hoses and gaskets. Replace if necessary, consult the manual for instructions.
When To Call In The Professionals
Certain dishwasher issues require the expertise of a professional appliance repair service. Consider reaching out to professionals when:
- Major Component Failure: If there are issues with the motor, pump, or control panel, professional repair may be the best solution.
- Water Leakage: Persistent leaks or damage to essential components like hoses or gaskets should be handled by professionals to prevent further damage.
- Lack of Experience: If you’re uncomfortable or lack experience in repairing appliances, it’s best to leave the job to the professionals to avoid potential mishaps.
Choosing a New Dishwasher: What to Look for
After doing the math and carefully weighing the pros and cons, you’ve decided to just replace the dishwasher. Great! But, what should you look for in a replacement? Consider the following factors:
- Energy Efficiency: Look for dishwashers with an ENERGY STAR certification to save on utility bills and reduce environmental impact.
- Capacity and Layout: Choose a dishwasher that fits your kitchen space and can accommodate your dishwashing needs.
- Noise Level: Opt for a dishwasher with low noise ratings if noise is a concern in your household.
- Wash Cycles and Features: Consider the available wash cycles and features that align with your needs, such as sanitizing options or adjustable racks.
- Durability: Read reviews and choose a reputable brand known for reliability and durability.
- Maintenance Tips: To help your new dishwasher last longer, follow manufacturer’s guidelines for maintenance, such as regular cleaning, descaling, and avoiding overloading.
Repairing or Replacing? Leave It To The Professionals at Bell Cow!
For reliable appliance solutions, including repair, maintenance, and installation, trust Bell Cow Service Company. Our experienced technicians are committed to keeping your appliances running smoothly.
Contact us today at 844-234-2355 or navigate to our service request contact form to learn more about our services and schedule an appointment.