We’ve all been there. You go to flush the toilet and instead of everything going down smoothly, the water level starts rising and rising until you start to panic. A clogged toilet can be a frustrating and embarrassing problem, but don’t worry, there are a few things you can do to troubleshoot and repair it before calling in the pros.
How You Probably Got There
- Too much toilet paper: If you or someone in your household tends to use a lot of toilet paper, it can easily cause a clog. Consider using less paper or investing in a bidet attachment for a more eco-friendly solution.
- Flushing non-degradable items: Anything other than human waste and toilet paper should never be flushed down the toilet. This includes things like feminine hygiene products, wipes, and even dental floss.Foreign objects: Kids (and sometimes adults) can be curious and may try to flush toys, jewelry, or other small objects down the toilet. These items can easily get stuck and cause a clog.
What You Can Do
- Plunger: A plunger is a classic and effective tool for unclogging toilets. Make sure you have a good seal between the plunger and the toilet bowl, and use a firm and steady up-and-down motion.
- Hot water and dish soap: Pour some hot water and dish soap into the toilet bowl and let it sit for a few minutes. The soap can help break up any clogs, and the hot water can help loosen things up.
- Auger/snake: For more stubborn clogs, an auger or snake can be used to physically break up the blockage. This tool should be used with caution to avoid causing damage to your toilet.
If All Else Fails
- DIY: If you’re handy and feel comfortable doing so, you can try to repair the toilet yourself. This can involve replacing the flapper valve or unclogging the trap.
- Professional plumbing service: If the clog is severe or you’re not comfortable attempting a repair yourself, it’s time to call in the pros. A licensed plumber can diagnose the problem and provide a long-term solution.
Bell Cow Service Company has Got You Covered!
While a clogged toilet can be a frustrating problem, there are several solutions you can try before calling in the professionals. If you’re still having trouble, don’t hesitate to reach out to Bell Cow Service Company for plumbing service, maintenance, and repair. Our licensed plumbers are available to help with all your plumbing needs.
Contact us today to schedule an appointment!