When the chill of winter hits Fayetteville and Richmond, there’s nothing like the comforting hum of a functional heating system. However, if your heating system isn’t working properly, you might find yourself in a bit of a predicament.
If you’re shivering when you could be cozy, it’s time to review how to keep your heating system in tip-top shape.
5 Signs of HVAC Issues and What to Do
You may be scratching your head thinking about some current problems with your HVAC system. First and foremost, it’s important to identify the tell-tale signs of trouble.
1. Uneven Heating Distribution
Are you feeling the heat…or not? Inconsistent heating distribution is one of the most common signs of an HVAC issue. You may notice certain rooms are warmer than others or that some areas in your home feel like they’re in a different climate altogether.
2. Unusual Sounds From the Heating System
Your heating system should operate quietly, with little to no sound. If you hear any unusual noises like rattling, squealing, or grinding, it’s probable that something is amiss within your HVAC system.
3. Surging Energy Bills
You’re already spending enough on holiday shopping, so the last thing you need is a spike in your energy bills. If your heating system is working harder than usual, it will reflect on your monthly bills. To avoid damage to your pocketbook, it may be a good idea to look into AC repair in Fayetteville and Richmond sooner rather than later.
4. Excessive Cycling On and Off
If you notice that your heating system is continuously turning on and off without reaching the desired temperature, it could be a sign of an issue with the thermostat or other components.
5. Poor Airflow Throughout the House
Have you ever stood in front of a vent and felt like it was blowing hot air, but your feet still felt cold? This could be due to poor airflow caused by issues within your HVAC system.
Common Winter HVAC Repairs
Now that you know the signs, let’s talk about the common AC repairs needed during the winter months.
The thermostat is a critical component of your HVAC system. If it’s not working correctly, it can lead to various heating issues. Here’s what you can do:
- Clean your HVAC unit before using heat! It will eliminate the burning smell you experience on the first running of heat every year. Also, steam coming from the outdoor unit in the winter is part of the defrost cycle—it is typically not smoking or something to be alarmed about.
- Calibrate the thermostat for accurate temperature readings. You can refer to the manufacturer’s manual for instructions on how to do this.
- If calibrating doesn’t solve the problem, it may be necessary to replace a faulty thermostat with a new one. Don’t attempt this yourself; always seek the help of a professional for AC repair in Fayetteville and Richmond.
Managing Frozen Components
Frozen coils and pipes are common during the winter, especially if your HVAC system is not functioning correctly. If this is your issue, here are some pointers:
- Identify the cause of the frozen components, which could be attributed to a clogged air filter or low refrigerant levels.
- Use safe thawing techniques to unfreeze the affected areas. It’s best to leave this task to a professional for your safety and the safety of your HVAC system.
Keep Ductwork Sealed
Efficient ductwork is essential for optimal HVAC performance. If it’s not properly sealed, it can result in energy wastage, diminished heating efficiency, and increased utility costs. Ensure:
- Regular inspection and sealing of ductwork to prevent heat loss and maintain efficiency.
- Professional assistance for ductwork maintenance and repairs to enhance your HVAC system’s overall performance.
When to Seek Professional Help
While it’s tempting to try and fix heating issues yourself, it’s best to leave the more complex aspects to the professionals. Attempting DIY repairs can be dangerous, especially if you don’t have the right tools or knowledge. Instead, consider proactive measures for future winters.
Invest in routine inspections and maintenance for your HVAC system. A professional technician can identify and perform AC repairs in Fayetteville and Richmond before they become major problems, which ensures your heating system runs smoothly during the winter months.
Stay Comfortable With Bell Cow Services
If you’re experiencing any of the signs mentioned above or just want to schedule a routine inspection, Bell Cow is here for your ideal AC repair in Fayetteville and Richmond. Our team of professionals is dedicated to keeping your home comfortable throughout the seasons. Contact us today for more information!