Without an air conditioner, you’re at the mercy of hot days and stuffy rooms. Not the best scenario, so let’s hope your air conditioner has a lot of life left in it! But how long does an air conditioner last?
In this article, we’ll go over air conditioner longevity, uncover the various factors that can impact its lifespan, and offer tips on how to prolong optimal functionality. In addition, we’ll go over the telltale signs that it might be time for a replacement.
How Long Does an Air Conditioner Last?
As a homeowner, you want to get as much use out of your air conditioner as possible, and you’re probably wondering, “how long does an air conditioner last?” While there isn’t a set timeframe for how long an air conditioner will last, its lifespan can vary based on a variety of factors.
Quality of Installation
One major factor that affects an air conditioner’s lifespan is the quality of its installation. A poorly installed air conditioning system can lead to problems down the line and shorten its overall lifespan. That’s why it’s crucial to have a professional, experienced technician handle the installation process.
Regular Maintenance and Service
Regular maintenance and service are also essential for prolonging the lifespan of your air conditioner. Just like any other machine, an air conditioner needs regular care to function at its best. Neglecting routine maintenance can lead to bigger issues that could potentially shorten its lifespan.
Climate and Usage Patterns
The climate you live in and how often you use your air conditioner can also impact its longevity. For those living in hot, humid climates, their air conditioner may have to work harder and potentially have a shorter lifespan compared to those in cooler climates. Additionally, if you run your air conditioner frequently, it may need more maintenance and have a shorter lifespan.
Brand and Model
Does the brand affect how long an air conditioner will last? It absolutely can! Some manufacturers may use higher-quality materials or design their systems to last longer than others. Be sure to research different brands and models before investing in a new air conditioner.
The Typical Lifespan of Various Air Conditioning Systems
The lifespan of an air conditioner can also vary depending on the type of system you have. Here’s a general overview of the typical lifespan for various air conditioning systems:
- Central Air Conditioning Systems: On average, central air conditioning systems last between 10-20 years.
- Window Air Conditioners: These units typically last around 10 years before needing to be replaced.
- Ductless Mini-Split Systems: These systems can last up to 20 years with proper maintenance and care.
- Portable Air Conditioners: Portable air conditioners typically last around 5-10 years.
4 Signs Your Air Conditioner is Nearing Its End
If you’ve had your air conditioner for a while, there might be some warning signs that it’s nearing the end of its lifespan. Keep an eye out for these red flags:
- Reduced Cooling Efficiency: If your air conditioner is struggling to keep your home cool, it could be a sign that it’s on its last leg.
- Frequent Repairs: If you find yourself constantly calling for repairs, it may be more cost-effective to replace your air conditioner.
- Unusual Noises: Unusual noises coming from your air conditioner could indicate a problem that requires attention. If the issue is recurring, it may be time for a replacement.
- Rising Energy Bills: As an air conditioner ages, it becomes less efficient and may cause your energy bills to increase. If you notice a significant increase in your bills, it may be time to replace your system.
Warranties: What To Know
When purchasing a new air conditioning system, it’s important to understand the warranty and what is covered. Warranties can vary between manufacturers and may only cover certain parts for a specific amount of time. Make sure to thoroughly read and understand the warranty before making a purchase. That way you’ll know exactly what to expect and can plan accordingly.
When It’s Time for a Replacement, Call Bell Cow
If your air conditioner is nearing its end or you’re experiencing any of the signs mentioned above, it may be time for a replacement. At Bell Cow, we offer high-quality air conditioning installation services with financing options to help keep your home cool and comfortable. Our experienced technicians can help you choose the best system for your needs and provide professional installation services.That way, your air conditioner will last!
Don’t wait until your air conditioner completely breaks down—contact us today to schedule an appointment for a replacement!